Here is the recipe for making sandwich bread at home!
Are you coming back from the supermarket and there were no more bags of sandwich bread on the shelves? Don’t panic, we have the solution. Why not take advantage of your free time to start making homemade bread? Not only will it be better than industrial bread, but you will be proud to say that you made it yourself. Here is how to go about making a good soft sandwich bread.
The secrets of a good homemade sandwich bread
To make homemade bread and succeed every time, it is important to let the dough rise well. Indeed, the more your dough will rise, the more the soft and airy bread will be. However, be careful not to let it rise too long, otherwise you will get the opposite effect.
Kneading the bread is also an essential step to make it successful. The baking robot is very practical for long kneading without making any effort. If you don’t have a robot, you will have to use a little elbow grease.
Remember to put water in your oven in an ovenproof container. This will create humidity in your oven and have an extremely soft sandwich bread. That’s all we want!
Finally, to check that your bread is well cooked, it should sound hollow at the end of baking. If not, continue cooking for 10 minutes.
The ingredients to make a homemade sandwich bread
- 450 g T55 wheat flour
- 20 g fresh baker’s yeast or 1 sachet of dry baker’s yeast
- 12 cl of water
- 20 cl milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 30 g soft butter
Homemade sandwich bread preparation
1. If you use dry yeast, it should be mixed in a little warm water for 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl of the kneading robot or in a bowl for hand kneading, place half of the flour, salt, sugar, water and flour. Add the yeast (fresh) or dilute.
3. Mix for 5 minutes to obtain a sticky and liquid paste.
4. Add the rest of the flour and the butter in three batches. Continue to knead.
5. Let the dough rest in the bottom of the tank for 1 hour 30 minutes under a cloth. It should double in volume.
6. When it is well raised, pour the dough on a flour work surface and shape your dough so as to form a thick roll the size of your mold.
7. Place the dough in the buttered pan and let rise for another 1 hour. You can also add a baking sheet to the bottom of the mold to facilitate demolding.
8. Preheat the oven to 200 ° with a ramekin of water inside.
9. Put the bread in the oven for 10 minutes and lower the temperature to 180 °. Cook for another 25 minutes.
When removed from the oven, the sandwich bread should be golden and well-puffed. It must be left to cool for a few minutes before being demolded. In this way, it will keep its square shape.
The conservation of sandwich bread
Sliced bread can be kept for 4 days if it is well wrapped in transparent film. You can also freeze it whole or a few slices for later use.
Healthy Recipe: Homemade Walnut and Turmeric Bread
What to do with sliced bread?
Sliced bread is very useful in many recipes. You can make delicious sandwiches for a picnic outside but also hotter preparations like delicious croque-monsieur. You can also use your sandwich bread for breakfast or toast it toasted for an aperitif with hummus or tuna cream.
Finally, if your sandwich bread hardens, you can reduce it in breadcrumbs which you will then use for crispy nuggets or fish and chips, but also in savory or sweet toast.